Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My First Earthquake!

For some (many?) of you this won't be exciting.  But for me it is.  I was sitting in the math department and suddenly I felt funny and the building creaked like it was moving.  So I checked http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/today and sure enough, there was a 3.6 not too far away.  I've been told that under 4 you are not likely to notice unless you are in certain parts of town, or at the top of a building and seated (like I am), etc.  For example, looking at that site I see there have been several since I returned to Christchurch yesterday and this is the first one I noticed. 

Anyway, I've never experienced any kind of earthquake (that anyone could notice) anywhere.  People keep telling me they happen here all the time and now I can say I actually felt one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment